Welcome to JobSyntax Sign in | Join | Help
Search
in

Bad Advices

Last post 09-07-2006, 2:38 PM by brantgurga. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-06-2006, 12:58 PM 620

Bad Advices

I recently e-mailed career services at my school that some of their advice is contrary to what I read from many recruiting bloggers or even outdated. The head of career services is wanting to meet with me to see what advice might be outdated or not the greatest. The primary one that I see is a one page resume when at least the JobSyntax bloggers definitely don't agree with. Are there any other advices regarding resumes, reviewing, or whatever, that are given that are generally wrong or out-of-date.

I will probably also suggest that they link to recruiter blogs in various domains. I am sure that what works in one industry doesn't work as well in another industry. Many computer industry jobs I have seen are not too concerned with dress, but I am sure other industries are.

Brant Gurganus
    http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~gurganbl
  •  09-06-2006, 8:49 PM 624 in reply to 620

Re: Bad Advices

Hi Brant - That's not surprising.  Many college career centers do offer out-dated advice.  You are right in that the resume and interview etiquette depends on the industry, and software engineering is probably the most "progressive" of all the disciplines in terms of pushing the boundaries.  For instance, while it's recommended not to wear a suit if you're interviewing for a technical job at Microsoft, the sales and marketing recruiters at the company might give you different advice.  It all depends on the industry.

What types of advice is the career center giving you? 

Also, as far as resume advice, Zoe and I are recording a screencast tomorrow that will cover some resume tips.  It should be live later this week or early next week.  We're going to walk through some samples - so that might give you some additional data points.

•  09-06-2006, 9:28 PM 625 in reply to 624

The current advice they give is at http://www.rose-hulman.edu/careerservices/resumes.htm. Most of it seems okay, but some is rather narrow minded in my opinion such as the list of action words and using standard fonts and sizes.
    Brant Gurganus
  •  09-07-2006, 12:09 PM 626 in reply to 625

Actually, this advice is pretty solid.  I agree with the points about using action verbs (that's a good list) and standards fonts and sizes, too.  This is some of the better advice I've seen.

A couple things that jumped out at me were:

• NEVER use complete sentences. Use short phrases (12 words or less) beginning with action verbs, such as "Created publicity campaign for blood drive"
  • While I agree you should use a complete sentence and you should begin the statement with an action verb, limiting yourself to 12 words or less could hurt you.  Zoe and I actually focus on this quite a bit in our screencast.  You should always explain WHAT your accomplishment was, HOW you did it, and WHY it was important.  You can do that in one statement (leading with an action verb and without using a complete sentence) but if often takes more than 12 words.  Quality over quantity.  In this example, I'd want to see "Created a publicity campaign for a blood drive by (HOW you did it) which (WHY this was important)"

I'm also a bit confused by their talk of "using the white space."  I didn't understand what that means.  Most resumes I see leave way too much white space, and I think the wider margins and bigger spaces between sections you have, the more sloppy your resume can look.  The less white space, the better.  But again, I can't tell from the advice what exactly they are advocating. 

•  09-07-2006, 2:38 PM 629 in reply to 626

Thanks for taking a look, I'll pass on the information.
    Brant Gurganus
View as RSS news feed in XML
Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions