Freelance Writer, Gaming | Remotive.com
Twofivesix is a marketing agency that focuses on games, play, and interactivity. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, energetic, and team-oriented technical writing professional who specializes in gaming and/or PC hardware.
You will create and project manage how-to guides, explainers, original articles, white papers, and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information to both end users and internal staff.
You will work with our team to bring clients’ brands and projects to life in written form. You will work end-to-end from initial kick-offs with internal teams to honing and shaping content projects throughout the entire process and schedule. You will shape inbound work to meet client needs as well as to optimize for the best performance possible.
The right candidate will be able to pitch and execute a variety of different types of articles for our client work section that include features (usually 1,000-2,000 words), knowledge guides (1,000-2,000 words), lists (750-1500 words), and/or cultural reports (500-800 words). The ability to turn around clean and concise copy quickly and reliably with appropriate images can turn this into a long-term, reliable source of work for a passionate writer with a strong work ethic, voice, and understanding of the gaming sphere.
As part of your job, you will also find and secure relevant images, video clips, trailers, and other media to draw readers into your posts and retain them. Your sources will include media from studios, official press releases, stock photography from services like Getty Images, and more. You will work with the Editorial Manager in pitching, drafting, revising, and publishing your work.
- Self-Editor: In every sense of the word. You are able to turn nuggets of ideas into rich executions. You are also quick to dismiss ideas that don’t fit the client’s needs while still encouraging your team to dig deeper. You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills that your content creators can model.
- Futurist: You’re thinking both upstream and downstream, keeping on top of things that have happened and have yet to come. You’re constantly asking, “What’s next?”
- Ambidextrous: You have the rare balance of superior written communication skills and a keen understanding of technology’s finer details. You understand the crucial role in helping both internal and external audiences understand company goals, concepts and technologies.
- Solid Communicator. You are articulate and persuasive, presenting information across a variety of sources clearly, and with conviction. Framing insights in simple language, building a strong rationale for strategic recommendations, and crafting compelling stories are all practically second nature for you. You present yourself with confidence, professionalism, authority, and humility. You can capture a room without feeling the need to own it, creating a space for creativity and dialogue. You deliver bad news early.
- Persuasive: You keep people on task with a smile. You are eager and assertive and help people get to the finish line. You inspire them to become better story-tellers.
- 5+ years Freelance Writing experience
- This usually does NOT include personal blogs, college essays/dissertations, and other non-published work.
- Experience writing about PC hardware a plus
- Can provide writing samples
- Proven ability to quickly understand deeply technical content and translate it into easy-to-understand content for a variety of users
- Experience designing and developing customer-oriented technical content.
- Experience writing for a gaming audience
- Exceptional skills in research and writing
- Client-facing experience a plus
- Must be located in the U.S. and legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be available for between 2-10 hours a week, as well as occasional calls to discuss your findings internally
- Prior experience with professional writing is a plus
- Prior experience with Slack, Asana, and the Google Drive suite is a plus
- Understanding of video platform algorithms, and knowledgeable engagement with gaming content, is a plus
This is a part-time, contract position at a consultancy with competitive pay and smart people with a proven track-record.
Competitive hourly rate.
Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our clients, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Twofivesix, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
If you’re curious about what kind of company we are, check out our vision statement.