Principal Software Engineer – Data Architect
Ditch your daily commute, say goodbye to the typical nine-to-five, and embrace a new way of working at Automox.
As a data focused Principal Software Engineer at Automox you will be a technical leader for the company, helping lead data architecture. You’ll have fun working closely with a diverse team consisting of Engineering Leaders, Staff Engineers, and Product Leaders to understand our internal and external customers, their markets, and design solutions that customers are excited to use and tell others about. Your work will influence multiple teams and services with a focus on current and future state architecture.
You will not only do hands-on coding but will also help mentor and develop other engineers on strong data practices and design principles. This is a great opportunity for someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment that comes with a startup and is excited about making a big impact on the security of companies around the world.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Design, develop and maintain high-level enterprise data models and conceptual views of related data sub-architectures (e.g., database, data integration, data warehouse/business intelligence, and reporting).
- Design, development, and implementation of a high-performance, highly available, and scalable data platform, including architecture, quality and security.
- Collaborate across several teams on their engineering work, helping their team members make informed decisions in alignment with short and long term strategic plans.
- Teach, mentor, grow, and provide advice to other domain experts, individual contributors, across several teams.
- Hands on coding using modern languages and frameworks in an AWS environment at least 30% of the time. We have a mix of Java (Spring), PHP, Go, and Python.
- Play a central role in technical contributions affecting the company.
- Plan improvements and features with a 3 – 6 month view.
- Be a point of escalation in solving technical problems of the highest scope, complexity, and ambiguity for engineering.
- Looks for innovation opportunities between several teams with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of large complexity and scope.
- Proposes initial technical implementation which supports architectural changes that solve scaling and performance problems.
- Facilitate conversations to remove blockers and encourage collaboration across teams.
- Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for Engineering in partnership/collaboration with the Product and Program Management.
- Knowledgeable in all specialities practiced within Engineering and a subject matter expert in one or more of these areas.
- Attract, recruit, identify and hire top technical talent.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support the Automox platform.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- 10+ years of experience with ETL architecture, including ETL standards, patterns, and best practices.
- Expertise in a variety of SQL, No SQL, and Graph databases.
- Experience architecting and optimizing production grade data pipelines; stream processing and batch using services like Amazon Kinesis, Kafka, and RabbitMQ.
- Extensive coding experience in a variety of languages and frameworks with a focus on best in class development practices and an ability to flow seamlessly between multiple languages, databases, and platforms.
- Passion for mentoring and developing a team of diverse engineers, ensuring an inclusive culture where everyone’s voices, backgrounds, and experiences are valued and integrated into solutions.
- Demonstrated history of delivering enterprise level software in an agile environment with a distributed team that works across multiple time zones.
- Clear communication up and down the organization.
- Effective communication with leadership and engineers regarding planning, reporting, status and/or conflict/blocker mitigation.
The expected base salary range is $185,000 – $230,000. Base pay is part of a rich total compensation package that includes bonus, equity and benefits. Actual earnings may be less or more depending on a candidate’s direct experience, skills, industry knowledge, and location.
Automox is the cloud-native IT operations platform for modern organizations. Our award-winning answer to modern IT operations and best-in-class results earned Automox four straight quarters of record growth. We are now trusted by more than 2,500 leading companies and MSPs worldwide, including NASA, Yale, Xerox, Allbirds, and Unicef. It makes it easy to keep every endpoint automatically configured, patched, and secured – anywhere in the world. The future of IT Operations is cloud-native – and right now. Will you join us?
TOTAL REWARDS: Thrive with Us
Beyond the Status Quo
🇺🇸 Work from anywhere in the USA
📈Equity for Full-Time Employees
🏝Flexible PTO, generous sick time policy
👋🏽$20 a month to connect virtually with colleagues
⏱Active Giving committee and employee-led communities
Health & Wellness
🩺 Comprehensive Health Plans with generous employer contributions
🩺100% Company-paid Short Term/Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
🩺 Company HSA Contribution: $100-$150-$200 per month based on tier
🩺 Gender Affirmation Coverage on Cigna Medical Plan (including surgery)
Happiness & Well-Being
🎁 $50 per month Lifestyle Spending Account
💻 Internet Reimbursement – $50/month
🗄 $750 Home office stipend
👨👧👦 $10k Adoption Benefit
🤰🏽Comprehensive Family Planning Covered on Cigna Medical Plan
👶🏽 Up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents
We are a fully distributed company and have remote workers throughout the United States, and some parts of Canada.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse company. Automox is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.
We are not able to sponsor work visas for this position at this time.