Remote Chief Operating Officer at Fractured Atlas
“I am dedicated to the success of the individual who takes on this role and acknowledge that support can look different depending on their lived experience and professional strengths.” – Theresa Hubbard, CEO
Our organizational culture embraces people who:
- Are curious and excited by opportunities to better our services, our systems, and ourselves.
- Seek out challenging problems and are comfortable with experimental, high-impact efforts.
- Are agile, creative problem solvers with a focus on concrete results.
- Invest their time in quality work and giving others their respect and support
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads day-to-day operations with the highest levels of respect, integrity and compliance, demonstrating clear, direct, and timely communication in all matters
- Sets and evaluates legally compliant business policies, procedures, and practices
- Recommends long-range strategic talent management, operational and financial goals
- Works with the CEO to develop an organizational structure that facilitates coordinated work across the company and enables increasing staff responsibility and autonomy.
- Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, and standards by which the company’s effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement
- Interacts with vendors to create and maintain relationships and negotiate contracts.
- Interacts with the board as needed, including joining board conversations and developing materials for board meetings
- Provides mentorship and coaching as needed across the organization.
Managing FinPOps Team:
- Coordinates and interprets all company policies to assure consistent application and equitable employee relations
- Oversees and implements benefits and risk management practices
- Identifies legal requirements & government reporting regulations for all relevant statutes and prepares information requested or required for compliance. Coordinates and supports audits/reviews by government agencies or other 3rd parties.
- Identifies metrics for the organization’s human resource and talent management functions
- Advises on organizational budget creation and general financial decisions, as needed
- Completes financial tasks, including monitoring cash reserves and investments, approving transfers, managing corporate credit cards, and others as determined.
- Works with team leads to set financial goals and impact for new initiatives
- Advises on internal technology and virtual office operations, as needed
“My hope is that the person taking on this job gets excited dreaming about future possibilities of how Fractured Atlas and organizations in general can approach People and Operations functions. So much of People and Operations is making sure that we follow laws and regulations, but I’d love a colleague and manager that is willing to be a co-conspirator in diving into issues with an expansive and emergent lens to make a better workplace and field.” – Nicola, Director, People Operations
Strategy Development and Execution:
- Works with team leads to manage competing priorities between departments and to create clear guidelines to evaluate how projects align with the goals of the organization.
- Develops structure for reflection of completed and ongoing projects and initiatives to assess fulfillment of stated goals
- Works with CEO to strategize the objectives and plans for the organization in people, operations, and financial functions
- Manages multi-team projects, developing realistic goals and timelines for each project, and supporting individuals and teams in order for them to meet agreed-upon expectations
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Proven dedication to building workplaces where everyone feels a sense of belonging through a commitment to impactful anti-racism anti-oppression strategies
- Skills in organizational change management, leading liberatory organizational practices, and an excitement to help lead the organization in change through a lens of care
- Superior communications skills – written, verbal and interpersonal, an ability to tailor communication style to diverse audiences across the organization, and comfort with engaging in challenging conversations; brings best practices for navigating conflict
- Ability to remain open and willing to new creative approaches to everything
- Proven ability to lead collaboratively and across many functions/departments
- Experience managing a fully distributed team
- Experience with Human Resources employee relations and understanding of employment law
- Comfort and experience working in financial systems and interpreting and communicating financial data and reports
- Experience managing multi-million dollar budgets
- Developed skills in various technical tools, for example MS Office, G-Suite, digital security, IT (account admin, etc.), Trello, Slack, etc.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work w/ strong organizational and time management skills; strong project management experience
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating business practices and solutions.
- Evaluation-oriented, agile, change agent with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment
- Empathetic and engaging individual, who listens well, is attentive and present, and has high emotional intelligence
- Proven ability to provide mentorship and coaching, experience in virtual environment a plus
1) Personal Statement addressing the following questions:
- What about Fractured Atlas drew you to this position?
- Tell us about a successful people-centered initiative you’ve led. What made it a success?
- What is a core value or principle that is important to you and how does it inform your approach to leadership?
3) A list of (3) professional references complete with phone number, email address, and explanation of the relationship. (References will not be contacted without your prior consent.)