Senior Software Engineer at Babylist
Title: Senior Software Engineer, Health
Location: United States
Who We Are
Babylist is the leading vertical marketplace and commerce destination for baby, driving purchase decisions for more than 8 million people each year. Utilizing robust proprietary data, patented technology, and unbiased editorial guidance, Babylist recommends expert-tested products to those starting their parenting journey so loved ones can offer their support. Babylist registries connect new parents and their community of family and friends who help plan, prepare, and shop for a child’s arrival. Babylist is the generational brand in baby, leading the $67 billion baby products market as the trusted go-to solution for growing families. To learn about Babylist’s registry options, editorial content, and more, visit www.babylist.com.
Our Ways of Working
We’re a remote-first company with team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees so people can get the work done in the way that suits them best. With rare exception, our employees generally work 9-5 in their home time zone.
We also know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to build community and collaboration, we gather in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These offsites are expected of employees and are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually.
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
- Native iOS and Android
What the Role Is
Babylist is looking for a bright, passionate Senior Full Stack Software Engineer to join our brand new Health team. Launched in October 2022, Babylist Health aims to provide a more user-friendly and transparent way for people to purchase a breast pump through insurance with incredible opportunities to broaden offerings for pregnancy, child, and new mom health in the future. This distributed team is responsible for scaling the technical systems and creating a user-friendly storefront that will support Babylist Health’s 2023 goals. You will also work on new strategic initiatives to expand the health offerings as we grow this business. As part of the team, you will lead business critical projects and you will make important decisions about how our systems grow and scale.
Who You Are
- A high-performing engineer with experience delivering end to end solutions that drive business growth
- You thrive in a quickly growing environment and are excited to lead business critical projects to unlock new capabilities
- You have experience testing, monitoring and running a production software system and are focused on continuing to grow your skills
- You are a talented programmer with React and Ruby on Rails (or similar) experience and are excited about further developing your craft and quality of work
- You have a passion for identifying gaps in team processes or execution and love driving impactful improvements
- Past experience in e-commerce, healthcare payments, or consumer applications is a plus but not required
How You Will Make an Impact
- Build the systems that will scale Babylist Health to $100M in revenue and beyond over the next 3 years
- Become a subject matter expert within our health services. Help define how the services and features will grow and scale
- Work closely with our Product team to create new features in health including areas like product education and comparison tools, automating user support flows to scale our business operations, and expanding our offerings of goods and services provided via health insurance
- Share knowledge and expertise across the team, especially in frontend development (React). Socialize best practices/patterns in your areas of expertise with other members of the team
- Mentor team members through design and architecture planning, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions helping to grow and level up their skills
- You may have past experience working in small/medium sized startups and thrive on excitement of fast growth
- You are an emerging leader that is passionate about further growing their skills and the capabilities of the engineers around them
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and invest in infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are committed to providing an actively antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
Babylist offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
A wide range of factors are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; and other business and organizational needs. Exact starting pay will be determined based on skills and experience. We hold two compensation reviews annually to review pay for performance and market and run an equity analysis to ensure our pay practices are fair and unbiased.
A reasonable estimate for the current role is:
This range may be modified in the future.
In addition to the base compensation listed above, we offer a number of other benefits as part of your total compensation at Babylist, such as:
- Company performance bonus
- Medical, dental and vision, covered at 100% for employees. Unlimited fertility coverage with no infertility diagnosis required.
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Retirement savings accounts (401k) with a 3.5% company match and immediate vesting
- Competitive employee stock options
- Up to 12 weeks of paid leave, optional additional unpaid leave, and a flexible return to work policy to welcome a new child through any of the ways to form a family, for all genders
- Paid time off including 15 vacation days, 9 wellness days, and 10 paid holidays
- An initial work from home stipend to optimize your workspace
- Mental wellness programs, including access to four sessions with licensed providers and unlimited access to Expectful and Headspace meditation apps
- Other perks include Babylist store discount, childcare stipend, referral bonuses, twice-yearly in-person events with the team and more