Senior Software Engineer – Backend Connectors Squad
Would you like to be part of a startup where there’s always something new for you to solve, where we will help you grow without limits, and where we all help each other within an ego-free culture?
This opportunity may interest you!
At Onna, our product helps companies such as Dropbox, Electronic Arts, Lyft, Carvana and others to turn their disparate and disconnected information from workplace applications (Slack, Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, and more) into knowledge that is accessible, useful, and private. To learn more about our Knowledge Integration Platform, visit www.onna.com.
What is it like to work at Onna?
- Discover your ideal remote work-life balance: As a Digital First company, we empower you to adapt your schedule for what works best for you, so you can collaborate with co-workers in different time zones while also meeting your own personal needs.
- Enjoy the freedom to find your own solutions: You will have the freedom to find solutions from scratch, which is both a challenge and a responsibility. There won’t be anybody standing over you telling you what to do. And, all of this in a complex distributed system capable of handling and processing large amounts of data every second: we’re currently logging +550 TB of data, indexing +120TB, and have Kafka with +2800 messages/second!
- Work with the latest technologies: We don’t use technologies just for the sake of it. Instead, we maximize your potential by choosing the right languages and tools. If there’s a technology that solves the problem better, you’ll have the flexibility to propose changes. To learn more about our current tech stack, check out our technologies section below.
- Ego-free culture of helping each other: At Onna, we work hard, but don’t have the need to show off: our culture is defined by staying humble, helping each other and encouraging growth. Here you’ll find a safe space to express yourself and contribute your point of view. You know how best to do your job, so we won’t constantly look over your shoulder.
- Evolve with endless growth opportunities: No matter your professional goals, we’ll stand beside you to achieve them. The growth opportunities within Onna are truly endless – whether you want to expand to become a tech lead, pivot into product management or switch to back-end coding.
Company benefits with you in mind
At Onna, we truly care about each other. To nurture your career with us, we create a culture of openness and offer plenty of resources to support your growth, mental health and well-being:
- Competitive salary package, including an annual bonus and equity.
- Recharge and disconnect with our flexible paid time off policy.
- We all take a break with quarterly Onna Wellbeing Days.
- Home-office setup budget so you can create your ideal remote workspace.
- Monthly stipend to support working from home
- Competitive health insurance package, based on your region.
- 401(k) with matching contribution (US).
- Yearly learning and development budget.
- Take your birthday off. Birthday on a weekend? Choose a day and enjoy.
- Frequent virtual social activities at the team and company level, as well as in-person team gatherings whenever possible. We are Digital First, but we’re definitely not digital only! We value togetherness and we love seeing each other’s faces!
What technologies will you work with?
We’re a cloud-based software as a service (SaaS) company that currently uses cutting-edge technologies like Machine Learning, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Elasticsearch, and the latest versions for Python and Angular, to name a few. For this reason, you’ll thrive at Onna if you feel comfortable engaging with the cloud ecosystem and distributed event-driven systems.
What will make you succeed in the position?
- Solid development background with min 2 years working experience in designing and delivering scalable projects, using Python.
- Experience with API development, and ideally with data ingestion.
- Familiar with Google Cloud Platform or other cloud computing platforms.
- Testing the code is very important for us. You are familiar with unit tests / integration tests etc.
- Familiar with modern CI/CD workflows and technologies,
- Distributed systems, async programming, and event-driven architecture knowledge is a big plus and will be very helpful on your day to day.
- Great communication and collaboration skills are required, as we work cross – functionally across different time zones (and our Squad model is inspired by Spotify).
What will be your mission?
Onna’s Connectors are the backbone of the Onna Knowledge Integration Platform. Connectors enable us to ingest a large volume of data from some of the world’s best SaaS services: tools that are essential to our customers’ daily workflows like Slack, Zoom, and Dropbox. What we collect is then indexed and passed through several machine learning and natural language processing engines to extract meaning and insight. That way our customers can find what they need faster, with context that generates insights and knowledge, and powers better decision-making.
How will you achieve it?
- By working on the system architecture design, implementation, testing and delivery of Onna’s platform.
- Contributing to the reliability of the system and participating in the creation of observability of different services and components.
- Taking part in product development primarily using Python, but also being able to use the right language for the right job.
- Following the best engineering practices within the organization, since at Onna we prioritize the quality of our platform and it’s a core part of our success.
- Working with agile teams (squads/tribes/chapters) with a strong focus on testable, scalable, and well-documented code that can be delivered in a continuous integration pipeline, with the goal of growing the platform sustainably and securely.
In short, if you want to join a company where you can continue to grow personally and professionally, where you can achieve real work-life balance, and where you will work on a very collaborative team with authentic people you can rely on…
Learn more about what it’s like to interview at Onna here.