Software Engineer – Product | Remotive.com
Working at Ohalo
Ohalo was founded in 2017 with the aim of creating order out of data chaos. Every day global enterprises are acquiring more and more data and understanding this data is critical to how these organisations operate. Ohalo’s flagship product Data X-Ray scans clients’ unstructured data to analyse, classify and redact data using machine learning and natural language processing. Our aim is to save our clients millions on data monitoring, avoiding regulatory fine risks, and be an asset to their customers’ data privacy.
You’ll be helping to protect the data rights of millions of our clients’ customers as the newest member of our talented team.
Location: Remote, 4 hrs overlap with GMT timezone (does not have to be based in UK)
Report line: Engineering Manager
Travel requirement: N/A
Engineering & the Data X-Ray tech stack
At Ohalo we have a strong product mindset – we encourage our engineers to build a broad understanding of the whole system, in order to enable us to tackle client problems holistically and build the best solutions possible. We’re looking to hire great engineers with a product focus to fit into our cross functional pods, focused on delivering client value.
For your information, our tech stack currently consists of:
- React and Playwright
- Java and Spring Boot, and the associated build tools (Maven, Gradle, etc.)
- Python RabbitMQ, MongoDB, MySQL, ElasticSearch
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Monitoring tool such as Grafana, Prometheus
- Github Actions and Github Projects
Proficiency in each of these technologies is not a requirement to apply to this position, but please share if you have experience in any of these.
You’re ready to:
- Work as a member of one of our three product delivery pods, you will be collaborating with product and engineering teams designing, building, and releasing solutions in an async-first, remote, distributed, agile team.
- Work cross-functionally. While we have plenty of experts, we also encourage our teams to have a wide breadth of skills and venture outside their domain of expertise.
- Proactively take ownership of design and delivery of issues and tasks, perform code reviews, and consider the best way to automate testing (our pods are responsible for their own QA).
- Work independently with focus, but recognise and utilise that the team are there when you need them for break out sessions to solve problems collaboratively.
- Contribute to our culture of learning and development, both sharing your knowledge and looking to learn from others within the team.
- Constantly strive to improve. Challenge our existing team and engineering processes as well as propose and implement solutions to fix them
- Be constantly security minded – we are helping to protect the data rights of millions of our client’s customers, and need to respect this.
- Communicative and resourceful about solving engineering problems, with a strong focus on building valuable products.
- Excited to work remotely, ideally in a timezone that overlaps with London for ~4 hours a day.
- Trustworthy, self-driven, and able to work towards goals. We embrace flexibility and agency and believe you should work when you are most productive. We don’t track time, we recognise results.
- Enthusiastic and willing to become a part of a growing team and people-focused culture.
- Experience in a range software development environments, ideally overlapping with our tech stack
- Product engineering experience with complex products with non-trivial constraints
- Understanding of networking and security principles and best practices
- Solid grasp of SQL and no-SQL database fundamentals
Non-essential, but highly desirable:
- Experience with QA
- Experience with performance testing complicated systems at scale
- Experience with metrics/alerting dashboards, such as Datadog
- Any kind of certification in AWS, Azure, GCP, RedHat Linux etc.
- Interested in the security domain
Growth Framework Positioning
At Ohalo we use an Engineering Growth Framework. This is a way to identify your abilities in a range of areas we view as important. We’ve identified five key elements we believe make a great engineer:
Technology, System, People, Process, and Influence.
For each aspect, there is a 1 to 5 level based on a set of criteria. The combination of these levels are used to define Titles. (Each level includes all of the levels below it).
This framework allows us to have meaningful conversations around expectations of your role, and identify areas of growth to reach the next level in your career. Together we can identify clear path(s) of progression, and form a basis for discussing where you want to move forward at Ohalo.
📈 Meaningful Equity as a growing Series A company
💻 Stipend for new workstation & home office setup
🏝 25 days Paid Time Off officially (excluding public holidays), though uncapped in practise
🏥 Paid Sick Leave
🏡 Flexible and Remote working: We are a remote working company and champion flexible working
Ohalo is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We will provide reasonable support whenever it is required, in order to enable you to make an application, and throughout the recruitment process. Please use the application form to let us know should you require any assistance, or contact us in advance: [email protected]
Ohalo does not accept unsolicited resumes from any sources other than directly from a candidate. Ohalo will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited offer, even in a situation where Ohalo employs the relevant candidate.